The Model Railroading Museum has a proven history of service to the public. Originally established as the Nassau Model Railroad Club in the early 1950's located on Hillside Avenue in Willistomn Park New York, the organization was comprosied of some of the top modelers in the field. who provided prototypically correct models and scenes many of which were "scratch" built. They prided themselves in providing shows to the public attended by upwards of 2,500 people several times per year and was the subject of national model railroading magazine articles.
In 1996 the club became incorporated as the Model Railroading Educationsl Foundation to better serve the public. After over 40 years in the same location, it then lost its lease.
Still having many items of museum qual;ity, it was decided by the membership to seek museum status using those items as travelling exhibits in shown around Nassau County. In April 2001, the Model Railroading Educational Foundation was consolidated into the Model Railroading Museum and the Model Railroading Museum was granted a museum charter under the auspices of the Regents of the University of The State of New York.
Presently the museum has 166 Members.
The museum continues to provide shows and seminars while seeking a new location to do what it does best.